DHEA and missed periods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHEA and missed periods?

I have been TTC since age 34, about 3 years now and have had 2 miscarriages since, one conception was natural, one the result of follistim injections.... was diagnosed with unexplained infertility over a year ago (I know I'm getting old). In mid-March 2011, I had surgery to remove a polyp, but the surgery just ended up being a D&C, during March I was on birth control pills and expected to menstruate 2 weeks post surgery... but nothing so I waited another 2 weeks and went to my RE, my uterine lining was thick but I also had a mature follicle so I took an Ovidrel injection...3 weeks later, not pregnant and still no sign of my period. I had very regular cycles prior to my surgery, the only thing that changed was I started taking 50mg of DHEA/day after the surgery, my RE said it couldn't hurt, but she didn't think that was my issue. So my question is could the DHEA be preventing me from menstruating? Should I just stop taking the DHEA and see what happens or go back to my RE?

Hi,

Are you SURE you're seeing a "true" RE? I don't know if an RE would give an Ovidrel injection without doing a blood hormone test (despite what the ultrasound showed)...

DHEA 50 mg/day doesn't usually affect ovulation. When my patients don't menstruate at the expected time, if they're not pregnant I have them come in for hormone testing to see what's happening.

Hope this helps,
    Dr. Roseff
    Dr. Roseff - South Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine - Boca Raton, FL
    PERSONALIZED/SUCCESSFUL Specialty care....

Comment

Thanks, I am going to a real RE or so that's what her degree says...
      I finally did get my period...but still have some more questions about DHEA. My RE said to take it according to the bottle, however one can buy it in 5mg, 25mg and 50mg pills. I've been taking 25mg 2x/day, but it seems like from what I've read 75mg/day is what is recommended for infertility. I'm going to do another round of Follistim injections next cycle and want my eggs prepped and ready to go My other question is the bottle says do not take while pregnant...so should I stop taking it after I ovulate and then start again after I get a negative pregnancy result?

Comment

My patients are educated about what to do, unlike what you're going through, and that should concern you as much as it concerns me....

I follow the protocol that has been set forth for diminished ovarian reserve, and that is high quality (name brand) DHEA 25 mg three times per day. My IVF patients stop it after the hCG injection to trigger egg retrieval (because once the eggs are out, it's job is done).

Sorry to hear you're having to flounder around with this,
        Dr. Roseff in Florida
        Dr. Roseff - South Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine - Boca Raton, FL
        PERSONALIZED/SUCCESSFUL Specialty care....

Comment

I must admit that your post is really interesting. I have spent a lot of my spare time reading your content. Thank you a lot! Zonnepanelen installateur Haacht

Comment

I found Hubwit as a transparent s ite, a social hub which is a conglomerate of Buyers and Sellers who are ready to offer online digital consultancy at decent cost. Zonnepanelen installateur Halle

Comment

I wanted to leave a little comment to support you and wish you a good continuation. Wishing you the best of luck for all your blogging efforts. Zonnepanelen installateur Herent

Comment

I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business. Zonnepanelen installateur Herne

Comment

Mmm.. good to be here in your article or post, whatever, I think I should also work hard for my own website like I see some good and updated working in your site. Warmtepompen Diepenbeek

Comment

Great survey. I'm sure you're getting a great response. Warmtepompen Oost-Vlaanderen

Comment

I’m excited to uncover this page. I need to to thank you for ones time for this particularly fantastic read!! I definitely really liked every part of it and i also have you saved to fav to look at new information in your site. Warmtepomp installatie

Comment

The worst part of it was that the software only worked intermittently and the data was not accurate. You obviously canot confront anyone about what you have discovered if the information is not right. Zonnepanelen installateur Kampenhout

Comment

Just pure brilliance from you here. I have never expected something less than this from you and you have not disappointed me at all. I suppose you will keep the quality work going on. Zonnepanelen installateur Kapelle-op-den-bos

Comment

I’m excited to uncover this page. I need to to thank you for ones time for this particularly fantastic read!! I definitely really liked every part of it and i also have you saved to fav to look at new information in your site. Zonnepanelen installateurs

Comment

Working...
                            X