Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HomeSchooling

Hi Brice,

I am Planning to do HomeSchooling for my Son for the Next year. He is 6 yrs old. I live in Piscataway, NJ.

When i Spoke to the Case Manager about HomeSchooling. He just Said you are on your own when you do HomeSchooling. The School district will not provide any Support. I have seen other instances where he is not giving me the actual answer. So i wanted to see, if i can get any help for the Related Services like OT, Speech from the School District.
    if i can get them, how do i approach ?

Thank you,
    Sujatha.

Home schooling and equitable services in New Jersey

Hi, Sujatha.

This is a great question. Many parents ask the same thing.

How home schooling is defined and regulated is up to the individual States. For example, the State of Virginia defines a home schooling program as a private school. In New Jersey, the term is nonpublic school.

New Jersey defines a nonpublic school as an elementary or secondary school within the State that is not a public school that provides K-12 education (or any combination of grades in which a student age five through 20 may fulfill compulsory school attendance) and which complies with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (P.L. 88-352).

This is an important distinction because you are planning to home school your child and you want to know whether related services such as OT and speech are available at public expense from your school district.

Aside from having an IEP, the only public funding provision that I know of is the equatable services provision in Part B of the IDEA. You can read it at 34 CFR 300.138, which is on the Internet at http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/34/300.138

Comment

HomeSchooling in VA

Hello Brice,

Thank you so much for your reply. I am planning to move to VA next year and my Son would be 9 yrs old. so I wanted to check. What would be my options if i plan to home School or Is there a way I can do Partial HomeSchooling. Morning he Attends School and then in the Afternoon I can Home School him.

Thank you,
      Sujatha.

Comment

Sujatha,

VA is a very home school friendly state. For example if you have teaching credentials (in VA) you can do what is called Home Tutoring and skip the other home school regulations - If you are looking for VA home school information, this is a good website: http://vahomeschoolers.org/
        This are also very active homeschool yahoo groups - particularly in Northern VA (NOVA) where we are.
        You said you were looking at a move to VA but you didn't say where - rural Virginia schools are not good but Northern Virginia systems are much better. There are 4 systems in NOVA Loudoun Co., Fairfax Co. Prince William Co and Arlington Co. I have some experience with all of them - We lived in Arlington for a long time. My advice is if you have a child with special needs stay away from Arlington and Prince William counties. We selected Fairfax - it's a large system with a lot of resources. Loudoun would have been my second choice.
        Good luck.

Nancy

Schools and how they work with homeschoolers

Comment

HomeSchooling in VA

Thank you for your reply Nancy.

We are moving to Ashburn,VA. Thank you for the Website and yahoo group. I will read and join the group.
          Is there any other Tips, So I can be all prepared before i move.

Thank you ..

Comment

Home schooling is also necessary with academic so the students can learn education with etiquettes as well.
            Last edited by inciidadmin; 04-05-2018, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Indeed, it is a fact that Home schooling is that part of any child's life that changes his life because they learn a lot of things during that part. More over, it is also helpful for them because it is a stage where they learn how to read or write and they get to know what actually exploring is. They are being taught about the etiquette as well.
              Last edited by inciidadmin; 04-05-2018, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Homeschooling is a revolutionary trend that parents use to educate their kids at home rather than sending them to a standard public or private school. Families choose for homeschooling for a variety of reasons, such as dissatisfaction with the available educational options, differing religious or educational philosophies, and the belief that students are not progressing in the traditional school environment.
                When prominent authors and scholars such as John Holt, Dorothy and Raymond Moore, and others began writing about educational reform in the 1970s, the homeschooling movement began to develop. Homeschooling was recommended as an alternative educational choice. According to the NHE (National Home Education Research Institute), more than 2 million children are currently being homeschooled in the United States, and the number is rising quickly every year. Homeschooling is permitted in all 50 states as well as many other nations.
                Also Read: [mytutorsource.hk/blog/all-about-homeschooling/]
                Parents can homeschool their children practically anywhere in the world without a formal education. When their child reaches school age, parents of young children who may have never attended a formal classroom can start a home education program. They will then start to adhere to the rules established by their state at that moment. After enrolling their children in school, parents who decide to homeschool them must follow a slightly different process. Before leaving, they must submit a letter of withdrawal to the head of the school or the regional superintendent. The letter should clearly indicate the parents' intention to pull their child out of school and begin homeschooling. After receiving the letter, parents continue to abide by the regulations set forth by their district.

Comment

Working...
                X