No announcement yet.

Reading Difficulties: where do I start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading Difficulties: where do I start?

Hi Brice,
    Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me. Our daughter, 14 and home with us from China for 4 years, is entering 8th grade. She has been receiving ELL services in school, which have varied from year to year. It has become clear that needs more intervention for reading help than the average ELL student; in 6th grade she was placed in the reading lab for a period each day; this seemed somewhat helpful but her reading scores did not really improve (she was at a second grade level). In 7th grade, a new reading teacher pushed for her to have one on one WIlson tutoring, which the school was not able to make part of her school day and so she stayed after 4 days a week. Finally she is showing some signs of progress, moving up to a 3 to 3.5 grade level.
    It seems to me that she needs to continue the Wilson tutoring, but she has enough other homework (all of which is a struggle because of her reading level) that the extended school day makes things difficult. She also has signs of developmental trauma disorder; is easily shamed and becomes discouraged thinking something is wrong with her, which is part of the reason I have not pushed for an IEP before (the focus on her performance and intensive evaluation will be extremely difficult for her to tolerate).
    I have a meeting with the principal and her guidance counselor (who has been helpful, but doesn't have any power to change the curriculum to make room in her day for a reading tutor). Where do I start? What do I ask for? Do I need an advocate with me, at this point? Thanks so much, Chris

brice@shoreham.net

Comment

Follow up questions

Hi Brice,
      Wow! Lots to think about. For now, I have some followup questions....

1. About the reading, I should mention that she only had the one on one instruction from mid Feb until the end of June, and I really did feel that for the first time I could tell that her reading improved. How do I know if she is dyslexic? If she is, doesn't this require a different approach? Do the schools test for, or even acknowledge dylexia? Should I have her tested on my own? When I suggested to her reading instructor that I have her evaluated by Susan Barton, she said "because they focus on dyslexia they will say she is dyslexic" . But then, who would I find to test her? Are these tests different than the evaluations that the school already does? And, shouldn't they be paying for the testing?

2. Developmental trauma. There is no question in my mind that she has this, but we do not have a professional diagnosis. The most effective intervention that we have found is therapeutic parenting, as she has refused to participate in any kind of talk therapy. And she has actually come a long way in learning to trust both of us, especially me. This is where it gets difficult. She has the usual teen age fear of being embarrassed by her parents, compounded by the deep inner shame and feeling of "badness" that goes along with developmental trauma. Our biggest conflicts in the last year have been over her idea that I am "interfering" with her school and embarrassing her (by asking her teachers to work with her capabilities); yet we would have nightly meltdowns over homework that was inappropriate for her level of reading or understanding. How can I advocate for the school to do more for her, when she sees that advocacy as a betrayal of trust (which triggers shame and anxiety, and all rational discussion of this topic goes out the window)? I realize that this may not be an answerable question, but I want you to realize what I am dealing with.

3. Socially, yes this is important, and the counselor has been working on it over the past couple years, but given the reality of middle school girls, I don't think there's much they can do. She is not being bullied or shunned, she simply doesn't have much in common with the other kids. So while they are nice enough to her, and will talk to her, this doesn't develop into relationships outside of school. But our daughter can be controlling and bossy, and this doesn't help.

4. Homeschooling. I kind of see what you are saying, but if I pursue an option that is available for homeschoolers (say, a reading program) how will she have time to do that unless we homeschool her? And how will I know if it is effective unless we try it out?

5. 504. This sounds great, would it carry over to high school? Because honestly, that is my big looming concern. I know we can get through 8 th grade with lots of homework support from me, but this isn't going to fly at the high school level.

6. ELL. I know that they are going to say that she gets services by being under the ELL umbrella (though by those standards she is much further along than the other kids and gets very little help). Does being ELL preclude having a 504 or an IEP?

Thanks so much for your great advice for talking to the principal, and for all your input! Chris

Originally posted by Brice View Post

Comment

[b]http://www.ncld.org/parents-child-di...g-for-dyslexia for a wealth of information that will help you begin making informed decisions.

Even though you did not ask a question in your discussion about developmental trauma I think there is an implied question there. Stated simply, I think the implied question is -

(1) What Can You Do About It?Diagnosis of developmental traumaBehaviorsBullying and shunning Time for a self-directed remedial reading programth grade is probably not a reasonable expectation. Even so, she will still need how to learn to read well for the rest of her life.

(7) ELL and the IDEA and Section 504
        A quick answer to whether a student in ELL is automatically not eligible for an IEP or Section 504 plan is no.
        ELL does not give your daughter a right to a free appropriate public education under either the IDEA or Section 504. It is not unusual for an ELL student to also have a disability and have an IEP or 504 plan.
        I hope this helps.

Brice
        brice@shoreham.net

Comment

Thank you, Brice for all your time and input. You have been very helpful, and I appreciate it.
          sincerely, Chris

Originally posted by Brice View Post
          [b]http://www.ncld.org/parents-child-di...g-for-dyslexia for a wealth of information that will help you begin making informed decisions.

Even though you did not ask a question in your discussion about developmental trauma I think there is an implied question there. Stated simply, I think the implied question is -

(1) What Can You Do About It?Diagnosis of developmental traumaBehaviorsBullying and shunning Time for a self-directed remedial reading programth grade is probably not a reasonable expectation. Even so, she will still need how to learn to read well for the rest of her life.

(7) ELL and the IDEA and Section 504
          A quick answer to whether a student in ELL is automatically not eligible for an IEP or Section 504 plan is no.
          ELL does not give your daughter a right to a free appropriate public education under either the IDEA or Section 504. It is not unusual for an ELL student to also have a disability and have an IEP or 504 plan.
          I hope this helps.

Brice
          brice@shoreham.net

Comment

Working...
          X