ROLL CALL (Humor me)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROLL CALL (Humor me)

I know you all probably know where each other is in their journey, but would you mind sharing here so I can read it all in one place?

How long have you been on D&F?

If you are trying to lose weight, how much have you lost?

What plan are you following?

What do you do for exercise?

What's your advice to me? (See my intro-of-sorts post a couple of threads ago.)

Thanks for playing...

Here ya go...

January of 2011, a little over a year.
    To date, close to 52 lbs., a little over 2 lbs. to reach my goal weight.
    Weight Watchers
    Nothing consistent; some days I walk, some days I do an exercise DVD, a lot of days I don't do much more than run up and down the stairs here at home a lot - exercise is my down fall...
    Just do it! The new WW plan works, if you work it. And you'll be back to exercising before you know it, take it slow. Learn the WW plan, work it in to your life and then add in exercise. Don't do it all at once.
    ~jj

Comment

As long as it became active again. Maybe a year?

I've lost 30, I have about 5 more lbs to go.

I eat whatever I want, I just track my calories online.

It depends upon the day. I have a pool/gym membership. I try to do things that count as family time, like walks, ice skating, kayaking, etc. I also have a bunch of stuff at home, like a medicine ball, weights, step, hula hoop, etc. I mix it up a lot.

Don't deprive yourself, but enjoy things in moderation. Also, find something that you can see yourself doing for the rest of your life. I've never "dieted", but it seems to me that most "diets" set people up for failure.

Comment

Welcome to D&F check in WT!

I dunno. Seems like forever! Probably a year?

70+ pounds

Using the Lose It app to track calories. Try to eat low fat, high protein, but mostly just keep calories below 1500/day.

Jog/run. Also like to walk.

If you have an itouch or iphone or ipad - download Lose It and try it. Super easy - advertisement free. In any case, I think most people are successful tracking food consumption in some way. That is what WW is all about. The key is that you must track it all the time - every morsel - no matter what. A bite here or there adds up quickly.

Start walking. Even if you don't want to - do it!! (

Comment

I am more of a lurker now since I am basically at my ideal weight but perhaps I have a few tips and strategies that might work for you.

A few years on and off, maybe 3? I forget!

I lost a total of 14 lbs but tend to put back on about 4 of those every winter because I suffer from s.a.d. Once spring comes, I am back to my ideal weight again, sometimes even below it.

None, just healthy eating and strategies I developed.

A lot, and maybe more than many will or can do. I find it is the single best way to maintain loss but it does not do much for initial loss. I basically do 50+ minutes of cardio and about an hour of machines/weights/floor three times a week, bike whenever I can, and nordic walk on as many days as I can. I aim for 5-6 days of at least an hour of exercise or more each time per week.

I think you should force yourself to eat a healthy breakfast. Many days I am not wildly hungry but I eat what many would consider a huge breakfast every day. It is so important! Keep your lunches lighter, and your dinners also light but varied. Make sure to have a piece of fruit or other small snack for low blood sugar episodes. If you like coffee, treat yourself to a skim milk cappuccino in the afternoons. Avoid energy and power bars, they are just sugar traps.

From your description of staying up too late and being tired in the a.m.I wonder if you also suffer a bit from winter depression, or is this the case with you all the time? I plan to get treated for this before it starts next year so I don't spiral emotionally and weight-wise.

You sound like you need more sleep, so try to make yourself go to bed earlier.

My other tips are: don't eat anything after dinner (unless it is fruit), and brush and floss your teeth at that point so you won't be tempted to cheat (since who wants to brush and floss again?) Also, let yourself have some fun a few days a week, say, on the weekend. Have some foods you normally go easy on when you are trying to lose weight, drink some wine if you like, treat yourself but don't overdo if you can. Weigh yourself only once or twice a week and try not to let the scale trip you up. Build in as much exercise as you can into every day and try to work out regularly if you can, easing into more as you get fitter and lose. I think you will find it gets easier and you will want to do it once you see some results (like you already have this week).

I don't think any of this is rocket science but you have to be in the right frame of mind and I know that can be tough. I tend to be skeptical of any diets and prefer just working with my existing, pretty healthy eating style. Sweets and wine are a problem, though, esp. in winter for me. So I also "try" to limit them to the weekends. I find abstaining from wine during the week is important to sleeping better and feeling better. Don't beat yourself up, though, if you simply must have a glass or something sweet. I find something small, like sour hard candies, are good if I get a sweet urge during the week.

Foods that can be your friends while trying to lose weight: soft or hard-boiled eggs, dry roasted nuts and trail mix (in moderation, very healthy and satisfying as a snack or light lunch), miso soup and other homemade, healthy soups yuo freeze and take to work (if you have a 'wave), and light tofu, veggie-focused ethnic food with spice and heat. Treat your tastebuds well and have some fun cooking. I tend to eat less when I cook and more when I buy processed foods or go out.

I'll post more if anything else comes to me.

Good luck!

Comment

Great advice, all. Thanks.

Everything you've all said has resonated with me... guess that means I'm ready!

Comment

Working...
            X